Lewisham Council’s Attendance Service specialises in safeguarding all children (particularly vulnerable children) by improving overall attendance that contributes to engagement, achievement and attainment. Our approach is early intervention, complemented with preventive and enforcement action. We aim to alleviate causes of poor attendance by supporting children and young people's needs in a manner helps to reduce the risk of disaffection, disengagement and exclusion from school.
All Lewisham Council maintained schools and academies will benefit from statutory services including
- children missing education
- child employment and performance licencing
- administration of penalty notices
- investigation and implementation of statutory enforcement
- annual DfE regulations, guidance and legislation compliance health check
- access to Attendance Officers Network meetings promoting best practice, updates on policy and regulations as part of the work force development
In addition to the above services, schools are able to purchase the following additional support:
- Generic Advice, Guidance and Support: reviewing whole school attendance systems and supporting the development of revised systems to ensure compliance with guidance and legislation.
- A Combined Package of Early Intervention: a combined package of early intervention strategies and some initial enforcement action. Undertaking assessments and making referrals. This may include components of Generic Advice, Guidance and Support.